Food Assistance in Mississippi
- MDHS - Mississippi Department of Human Services
- SNAP - Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- TANF - Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- TEFAP - The Emergency Food Assistance Program
- WIC - Women, Infants & Children's Nutrition Program
- MS Food Network
- Twelve Baskets Food Bank (serving Harrison, Hancock, Jackson, Stone, Pearl River, George, and Perry Counties)
- Mid-South Food Bank (serving north Mississippi)
- Farmers Markets
- Summer Feeding Sites
If you’ve ever been told you need to cut fat from your diet and wondered how to do it, this post is for you!
Fat, especially saturated fat, plays a role in heart health. Increased blood cholesterol is tied to heart disease, so finding ways to reduce saturated fat is important.
Have you ever heard someone praise the benefits of a Mediterranean diet, but wondered what to cook? This delicious fish recipe, cooked with an assortment of tasty vegetables, fits the bill! Fish, healthy oils, and plenty of vegetables are key parts of the Mediterranean diet. Served with a side of whole-grain couscous or pasta, you’ve got a feast ready in about 45 minutes.
Ever since I started hosting The Food Factor, I’ve been getting curious looks at the grocery store. Other shoppers will recognize me and look in my buggy to see what I’m buying. People assume that I must always eat healthy foods, or I never have dessert.
With all of the delicious, fresh vegetables available this time of year at great prices, vegetable burritos are a fast, farmers market-friendly meal you can whip up in no time. While Southwest-inspired recipes can hide a lot of calories, a few substitutions can keep you from breaking the calorie bank. (Photo by Jonathan Parrish/Cindy Callahan)
See what's new in Extension: Gather for First Extension Beef-Production Workshop, the Food Factor Goes Digital, Extension Professionals Share Expertise, and Extension Offers New HappyHealthy Program.