Alcorn County 4-H Newsletter
It is so exciting to kick off the new year with lots of 4-H fun! This year you will engage in new opportunities, accomplish goals you set, make new friends and learn important life skills by participating in 4-H. The Alcorn County Extension staff and 4-H Volunteer Leaders have planned workshops, contests, and lots of fun activities. We are in the progress of finalizing the 2022 4-H calendar that will have all of the opportunities you won’t want to miss! The monthly 4-H Newsflash will keep you updated to any date changes as well as deadlines.
A few reminders as we begin the new year . . .
- 4-H events and activities will be canceled if city and county schools close due to inclement weather.
- Please be sure to like the Alcorn County 4-H Facebook page. Updates and changes will be posted.
- Deadlines are important! Some activities require you to pre-register. Please do so before the registration deadline.
- Support your 4-H club leaders. They work hard to plan fun and educational activities for you. You support them by attending meetings, participating in meetings and sharing your ideas.
- The Alcorn County Extension staff is here to help you. If you have questions about upcoming events please contact us.
We welcome Mr. Hunter Null to the Alcorn County Extension Team. Hunter has been an Extension Agent in Benton County for the past two years. He began his Alcorn County venture January 3. I look forward to an exciting year full of 4-H fun!
MSU Extension Agent III
The monthly 4-H Volunteer Leader’s meeting will be held Monday, January 10, at 5:00 p.m., at the Alcorn County Extension office.
4-H volunteers are the foundation of every 4-H program. If you are interested in helping youth, being a 4-H volunteer may be for you. There are many ways you can help. You can organize a club, assist a club leader, conduct a workshop, help with a fundraiser, and much more!
The registration process is simple and we will walk you through each step. Contact the Alcorn County Extension office today for more information.
The 4-H Advisory Council quarterly meeting will be held Wednesday, January 19, at noon at the Extension office. A light lunch will be served. Please contact the office to let us know you will attend.
The Advisory Council plays a very important role in the county 4-H program. They oversee program support, planning, scholarships, and fundraising efforts. The council is comprised of 4-H alumni, community stakeholders, and volunteers.
Northeast District Livestock Show - January 21-22, 2022
NMREC Agri-Center - Verona, MS
If you are interested in the 4-H Livestock Program, this is a great opportunity to learn more about it. We will be happy to provide you with a show program.
4-H Shooting Sports
Registration Night will be held Monday, January 24, 5:00—6:30 p.m. It’s time to enroll in the 4-H Shooting Sports Program. Enrollment is required each year for those who have participated and for new members. Instructors will be available to answer questions. Refreshments will be served. Disciplines that will be offered this year include: pistol, rifle, and archery. Volunteers are needed for this program. More information will be available at this event.
Alcorn County Extension Social
Join us Tuesday, January 25, from 2:00—4:00 p.m. for a cup of coffee and visit with your County Extension staff. This is a great opportunity for you to meet Hunter Null, Extension Agent, and welcome him to the Alcorn County Extension family. We will have educational handouts available as well as information about programs we can offer our clientele.
Mark your calendar for Friday, February 18. You won’t want to miss the annual Jesse Clausel 4-H Memorial Soup Luncheon. We will offer pick up and delivery only from 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. Please let us know if you are willing to donate a dessert or help the day of the fundraiser. All proceeds are applied to 4-H scholarships.
4-H Super Saturday
Join us Saturday, January 22, from 10:00 a.m.—12:00 p.m. for two fun workshops. The first workshop will focus on the 4-H public speaking contest. You will learn tips to help you develop your speech, how to present, and how to make public speaking fun! The second workshop will feature the 4-H STEAM program. You will enjoy hands on activities that will make you want to join the 4-H STEAM Club, led by Ms. Beverly Shanks. More information about the club will be shared during the workshop. Bring your friends and family and enjoy 4-H Super Saturday! Refreshments will be provided.
Sign up now for a 4 session workshop featuring STEAM activities. Youth will participate in hands on science experiments, as well other aspects of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics). Ms. Demetria Wallace, 4-H Volunteer, will offer the 4 session program February 3, 8, 24, and Mary 3, from 4:30—6:00 p.m. Youth ages 8-18 are encouraged to attend. The registration deadline is January 21.
JANUARY 2022 4-H CLUB MEETINGS
Air Rifle Practice - Every Sunday 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.
Clover Kidz-West - Wednesday, 12th, 3:30 p.m. at Shiloh Baptist Church
Pathways to Art - Thursday, 13th, 4:30 - 6:00 p.m.
Eagles 4-H - Tuesday, 18th, 4:00 - 6:00 p.m.
Sewing Club - Tuesday, 18th, 4:30 - 6:00 p.m.
Woofgang 4-H Dog Club - Saturday, 29th, 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. Members should bring their breed boards to share.
The Alcorn County 4-H Ambassadors will meet Thursday, January 27, from 5:00 – 6:30 p.m. We will have a pizza party to get the 4-H Ambassadors ready for an exciting 4-H year. We will cover information about the basics of 4-H, introductions, and 4-H recruitment. Please let us know if you plan to attend. I look forward to seeing your smiling faces!
Let’s get ready for the 4-H Public Speaking Contest Saturday, February 5, beginning at 10 a.m. at the Alcorn County Extension office.
Public Speaking Tips
- Select a topic you are interested in or have personal experience.
- A speech has 3 basic parts: Introduction, Body, and Conclusion.
- Prepare your speech early so that you have adequate time to practice.
- Write your speech on notecards and carry them with you so you can practice often.
- Before the speech reduce the number of notecards. Memorize your introduction and conclusion.
- Dress nicely for your speech. Personal hygiene is important too.
- Delivering your speech: make eye contact with the audience, speak clearly and distinctly, check your posture— stand up straight, watch your hands. Use your hands for meaningful gestures. When you are not using them drop them loosely by your side.
- After your conclusion thank the audience for allowing you to share with them. For the contest you should then look at the judges and ask them if they have any questions.
You Can Do This!!!!
The Mississippi 4-H Volunteer Leaders’ Annual Conference will be held February 25-26, at Mississippi State University. I would like to encourage you to make plans to attend.
Conference registration information will be available soon.
For more information about any of our programs and activities, please contact the Alcorn County Extension office.
MSU Extension Alcorn County
P.O. Box 539
(2200 Levee Road)
Corinth, MS 38835