The Food Factor: Spinach Dip Makeover
Video by Jonathan Parrish
It’s tailgating season, and there’s nothing like a buffet of snacks to rack up the calories. The Food Factor to the rescue! Here is a healthier take on your favorite spinach dip. Instead of chips, serve with cut-up veggies.
Be sure to follow food safety precautions and keep your cold foods out of the danger zone. I like to divide dips like this into a couple of smaller containers. That way I can swap out a cold bowl of dip for one that has been sitting out. Another trick is to make an ice bath by nesting a smaller bowl of dip into a larger bowl filled with ice to maintain the proper temperature.
- 1 package frozen spinach, thawed, 10 ounces
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 package vegetable dip mix, 1 ounce
- 1 tsp. dill weed
- Vegetables for dipping, such as carrots, bell pepper slices, celery, and broccoli
- Squeeze thawed spinach with paper towels to remove extra liquid.
- Mix together all ingredients.
- Cover and chill for 20 minutes.
Visit our friends at Alabama Cooperative Extension System for a printable recipe.
Need a dip for your next get-together? Try our hummus dip recipe.
Subscribe to Extension for Real Life
Fill in the information below to receive a weekly update of our blog posts.