The Food Factor: Spiced Cocoa
Video by Jonathan Parrish
Nothing says “happy holidays” like a cup of hot cocoa! This year, treat yourself to a homemade treat—spiced cocoa from scratch!
Sure, opening a premade mix is easy, but once you try these delicious homemade options, it will be hard to go back to the packets!
Enjoy, and happy holidays from The Food Factor crew!
- 4 cups fat-free or 1% milk
- 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, if desired
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- additional cinnamon, if desired
- dash of salt, if desired
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat milk and cinnamon in small saucepan over medium-low heat until simmering (do not let milk boil).
- Reduce heat and continue to slowly simmer for 2–3 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Whisk the cocoa, salt (if desired), and brown sugar into heated milk until well mixed with no lumps.
- Stir in vanilla (if desired) and pour into mugs.
- Sprinkle with extra cinnamon.
Thanks to the University of Georgia Extension for this printable recipe.
For behind-the-scenes photos, crew reviews, and terrific kitchen tips, be sure to follow The Food Factor on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
And if you like our recipes and videos, we’d love for you to share them with your friends! It really helps!
Posted on: December 1, 2020
Subscribe to Extension for Real Life
Fill in the information below to receive a weekly update of our blog posts.
May 30, 2023
May 26, 2023
May 24, 2023
May 3, 2023
February 22, 2023
May 10, 2022
March 25, 2022
March 21, 2022
Publication Number: P3453
Publication Number: P1431
Publication Number: P3049
Publication Number: P0663
Publication Number: P1430