The Food Factor: Apple Pie in a Glass
Video by Jonathan Parrish
Some of my favorite winter desserts are fruit-based, including apple pie and apple crisp. But as we begin the new year, I need to get back to healthier eating habits!
If you are looking for a bright apple flavor without the calories found in a pie or caramel apple, try this smoothie! A 1-cup serving is just 90 calories! We used a sweet red apple when we tested this recipe. Next time I might try a Granny Smith apple to see how it would taste with a tart fruit.
Apple Pie in a Glass
- 1 cup milk, non-fat or low-fat
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt, non-fat or low-fat
- 2 large apples, peeled and cored
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 handful ice cubes
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Wash and peel apples. Remove the core and seeds and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Put all ingredients in a blender and blend for 1 minute.
- Serve immediately.
Thanks to UMass Extension’s Nutrition Education Program for this printer-friendly recipe.
For behind-the-scenes photos, crew reviews, and terrific kitchen tips, be sure to follow The Food Factor on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
And if you like our recipes and videos, we’d love for you to share them with your friends! It really helps!
Subscribe to Extension for Real Life
Fill in the information below to receive a weekly update of our blog posts.