Plants Perfect for the Holidays
Poinsettias make great holiday gifts and decor! (Photo by Canva Pro)
If you’re like me, you’re starting to think about your holiday plans. How will I decorate for Thanksgiving and Christmas? What will I gift my friends and family during this festive season? Plants make perfect gifts and add a nice touch to your holiday decor. Here are six plants that are perfect for decoration and gifts this holiday season!
- Amaryllis: This indoor bulb plant is very popular this time of year. The blooms are large and vibrant, and they come in colors like pink, salmon, white, orange, and red. If you want to plant bulbs, they are the easiest bulb to bring into bloom! Place the blooming plant in a cool area to help extend the life of the flowers.
- Paperwhite Narcissus: If you’re looking for a delicate, upright flower, the paperwhite narcissus is the plant for you! Paperwhites are very fragrant flowers. One thing about these plants is that they like cool temperatures. Keep them in your house during the day and place them in an unheated garage or porch during the night. Just make sure the temperature isn’t below freezing!
- Ornamental Peppers: If you want to have a nontraditional plant in your home, ornamental pepper plants are the way to go! They produce peppers in a wide variety of sizes, shapes, and colors. They can be both houseplants and landscape plants. And in case you’re wondering, you can eat the peppers if pesticides have not been used!
- Phalaenopsis Orchid: Orchids are a beautiful plant option! They come in many different colors, including pink, white, soft yellow, and light green. They can perfect to fit whatever holiday color scheme you decorate with! The flowering blooms can last for up to four months if kept in indirect, bright light.
- Poinsettia: It wouldn’t be a holiday plant guide if the poinsettia wasn’t mentioned! There’s no plant more popular during the holiday season than the poinsettias. They range in color from traditional red to white to even pink. One thing to remember is poinsettias like bright locations and do not like drastic temperature changes, so keep them away from vents and space heaters!
- Thanksgiving and Christmas Cactus: These are not your typical cactus plants! Holiday cacti are gaining popularity and are another great way to add beautiful color to the holidays. Thanksgiving cactus typically blooms from Thanksgiving to Christmas, while Christmas cactus blooms from Christmas through March. Holiday cacti are easy to care for; place them in a cool spot of the house, provide them with adequate drainage, and keep the soil moist.
Many of these plants can be found at garden stores or in the floral section of grocery stores. Don’t have time to plant bulbs? These plants can be purchased in bloom as well. Explore a longer list of common holiday houseplants in Extension Publication 2309, “Holiday Houseplants.” The publication features plenty of options to consider, including spruce, rosemary, pines, and more!
Subscribe to Extension for Real Life
Fill in the information below to receive a weekly update of our blog posts.