Tour will highlight a spring soybean weed - May 23, 2013
Soybean growers and consultants will benefit from an upcoming tour that teaches control measures for a springtime weed that plagues fields every year.
Belzoni farm uses REACH methods - May 23, 2013
Conservation-minded Mississippi farmers have enrolled 126,470 acres in the Research and Education to Advance Conservation and Habitat program, a Mississippi State University effort to impact land management.
Don’t bury technology in the family cemetery - May 23, 2013
Memorial Day is when many Americans take a step back to remember those who died in service to our country. Technology can bring us closer to those brave souls who died on the shores of Normandy or those laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery, even if time and distance separate us.
Give favorite family recipes a makeover - May 21, 2013
Healthy eating does not mean home chefs must abandon favorite dishes, but they can trim sugar, salt and fat and boost fiber to create lighter versions of beloved recipes.
Plan now for later irrigation needs - May 20, 2013
Although many Mississippi gardeners are wondering if it will ever quit raining and let their landscapes dry out a bit, now is actually a good time to think ahead to the inevitable hot and dry weather of summer.
Two researchers join the MSU Extension Service - May 17, 2013
Mississippi State University named two researchers to Extension Service appointments at the Delta Research and Extension Center, effective May 1.
Frequent rainfall causes historic planting delays - May 17, 2013
Poor weather has created so many rain delays that most of the nation’s row crop planting is behind schedule, and Mississippi is even farther behind than other states.
MSU’s veterinary college to host Merial Rabies Symposium - May 16, 2013
The Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine will host the sixth annual Merial Rabies Symposium on World Rabies Day, Sept. 28, 2013.
Technology changes how farmers work - May 16, 2013
Social media is often thought of only as a way to keep up with friends and family, but electronic communication is an essential part of today’s farming operations.
Agricultural degree takes MSU student to Nigeria - May 16, 2013
A career interest developed in Mississippi State University’s School of Human Sciences led one student to Nigeria, where she spent a week teaching agriculture.
Salvia varieties create colorful, informal feel - May 13, 2013
Many gardeners try to give their landscape the feel of an informal cottage garden. This garden concept has a loose, flowing feel, kind of like you just let plants grow wherever they happen to pop up in the landscape.
Cattle producers turn to MSU for reproduction class - May 10, 2013
Cattle producers wanting to improve their herds’ genetics recently turned to Mississippi State University for an advanced, hands-on reproduction workshop.
Catfish producers manage for profit - May 10, 2013
Mississippi’s catfish farmers continue to address production challenges as the industry works to reclaim markets lost to imported fish.
CVM and Palmer Home partner to protect horses - May 10, 2013
Regular eye exams are an integral part of animal health maintenance, so the Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine is providing free eye screening to service animals throughout the month of May.
Modern technology offers face-to-face opportunities - May 9, 2013
One of the best things about life today is the way technology allows people to stay connected across long distances.
Careful tree placement can add beauty, value - May 9, 2013
Planting the right trees in the best locations is a good investment that can also pay dividends in energy savings for home and business owners.
Annie’s Project celebrates 10 years of education - May 08, 2013
Annie’s Project teaches women in agriculture-related fields problem solving, record keeping and decision-making skills. Facilitated by Mississippi State University’s Extension Service, organizers plan to train educators across the state to deliver the program.
MSU instructor promotes environmental stewardship - May 07, 2013
“I want people to understand what is happening around them and to appreciate it,” said Burger, an Extension instructor at Mississippi State University’s Forest and Wildlife Research Center.
Million Bells varieties provide summer colors - May 06, 2013
If we ever move into the warmer – even hotter – summer season, I’m looking forward to the prolific flowering of calibrachoa. These plants are commonly known as “million bells,” which is a good description because it seems these plants have a million flowers.
Routine vet visits keep pets ready for disaster - May 6, 2013
Getting routine health care for family pets is just as important as having a fully-stocked emergency kit and a home evacuation plan when preparing for disasters.
Hay producers eager for warm, sunny days - May 3, 2013
As pastures transition from cool-season to warm-season grasses, the state’s hay and forage producers hope for sunny days that are better suited to growing and harvesting quality crops.
MSU food scientists in first certification class - May 2, 2013
Two Mississippi State University scientists have set the standard for the state’s future food scientists by completing an international certification program.
May 10 set to recognize child care providers - May 2, 2013
Families who use child care may want to pick up an extra bouquet while shopping for Mother’s Day.
Four conservation camps offer summer experiences - May 2, 2013
Mississippi State University is offering four different conservation camps in June and July for young people interested in science, outdoors and the environment.
Class project transforms green theories into reality - May 2, 2013
Mississippi State University architecture students designed a sustainable home that can provide its own electricity, water supply and food for a family of four.
Project promotes learning beyond school activities - May 2, 2013
Recognizing that learning is not confined to the classroom, the Mississippi State University Extension Service is promoting quality learning environments in programs for school-age children.
Certification, pest help offered at May field day - May 1, 2013
Both traditional and organic farmers can learn how to recognize and control pests, weeds and diseases during a May 17 field day.
Homemade plant tags give gardens personality - April 29, 2013
Like many home gardeners, I used to put plants in my landscape without worrying about labels because I was sure I’d remember what was planted where. And like most of you, I would end up scratching my head wondering what I had planted where.
Conservation workshop for teachers scheduled - April 29, 2013
Teachers interested in learning more about conservation education can register for the 50th annual Teachers Conservation Workshop, to be held twice this summer.
Crosby Arboretum gets Southern Traveler award - April 29, 2013
Travelers may be adding Mississippi State University’s Crosby Arboretum to their summer travel destination lists now that a regional travel magazine recognized it.
Rains keeping tractors still and planting late - April 26, 2013
Farmers should be nearly finished planting corn and going strong with soybeans, rice and cotton, but instead Mississippi fields are quiet as rain keeps tractors in the barn.
Technology can speed emergency responses - April 25, 2013
Recent national tragedies have reminded us once again how important it is to stay in touch with loved ones and emergency response officials for breaking news. Being technology-ready before disaster strikes is critical to saving lives, connecting friends and family, and assisting first responders.
Forensic activities make learning programs fun - April 25, 2013
The program teaches science, teamwork and observation skills, but to the participating students, Code SSDD is just fun.
Master Gardener conference set for May, open to public - April 24, 2013
Horticulture enthusiasts can attend educational presentations, workshops and tours during the Mississippi Master Gardener State Conference May 14-16.
International research reveals new perspectives - April 24, 2013
Mississippi State University faculty take their knowledge and expertise around the world as they conduct research and teach through the Fulbright Scholarship program.
AgVentures brings agriculture to life - April 24, 2013
Fourth-graders from Jackson area schools recently got a new appreciation for the clothes on their backs and the food on their tables at AgVentures.
Pizza Farm shows kids where food comes from - April 23, 2013
A round garden plot divided by fences into sections showed about 750 students in north Mississippi what it takes to make pizza.
Beef and forage field day set for May 18 - April 23, 2013
Cattle producers in Mississippi and Louisiana can learn about cattle health issues and forage weed control measures during a May 18 event in south Mississippi.
Robotics build bridge to tech topics in 4-H - April 22, 2013
A Pearl River County family learned that 4-H robotics’ “no experience required” policy opened doors to new skills they never expected.
Forestry professor writes new textbook - April 22, 2013
Mississippi State University professor Donald Grebner is the lead author on a new forestry and natural resources textbook.
Enjoy blue flowers like lobelia and delphinium - April 22, 2013
Has the search for blue flowers left you feeling blue?
- Smith aims to improve value of state’s cattle - April 19, 2013
- Spring rains help summer crops, but more is needed - April 19, 2013
- Multiple issues impact 2013 poultry decisions - April 19, 2013
- 4-H volunteer devotes 50 years to youth progress - April 18, 2013
- Soil scientists celebrate Earth Day year-round - April 18, 2013
- MSU study finds support for La. coastal restoration - April 18, 2013
- Warm weather brings out sun-seeking snakes
- April 17, 2013
- Natural resource workshop explores outdoor businesses - April 16, 2013
- Municipal Clerks Week Recognizes local service - April 16, 2013
- Use care when dividing perennials in the spring - April 15, 2013
- Tornado-damaged tower cripples farming efforts - April 12, 2013
- Drug research company won MSU startup award - April 12, 2013
- Cold spring makes a late strawberry crop - April 12, 2013
- Wild hog management workshop date set - April 12, 2013
- Secrets of native plants revealed at lecture - April 12, 2013
- Raised beds help those with limited mobility - April 11, 2013
- Separations complicate access to online accounts - April 11, 2013
- Exotic cat saved through MSU, zoo partnership - April 11, 2013
- Local students raise funds for animal disaster relief - April 11, 2013
- Garden critters add interest to landscapes - April 11, 2013
- MSU pushes RISER plan for efficient crop irrigation - April 11, 2013
- Restoration planned for Pinecote Pavilion - April 10, 2013
- 4-H poultry project registration is open - April 8, 2013
- Focus week recognizes early childhood years - April 8, 2013
- Senorita Rosalita, Sparkler cleomes are good in gardens - April 8, 2013
- MSU-CVM to provide eye exams to service animals - April 8, 2013
- Peanut growers seek more profitable crops - April 5, 2013
- MSU student serves through Collegiate 4-H - April 5, 2013
- Event highlights partnerships that promote rural jobs - April 4, 2013
- Arboretum members get free admission to gardens - April 4, 2013
- Extension coordinates law enforcement class - April 4, 2013
- Study shows benefit of 4-H involvement - April 4, 2013
- MSU tour examines cool-season forage - April 4, 2013
- MSU students win spot at national insect trivia bowl - April 2, 2013
- MSU personnel, materials help child cares succeed - April 2, 2013
- MSU Ducks Unlimited chapter earns Sweet 16 - April 1, 2013
- The case of the missing blue Mexican petunia - April 1, 2013
- 4-H team wins top honors in land judging contest - March 28, 2013
- Mississippi producers plan for more corn, less cotton - March 28, 2013
- Avoid cyberfraud during year-round phishing season - March 28, 2013
- MSU waterfowl program receives national award - March 28, 2013
- CVM to focus on community, animals at annual open house - March 27, 2013
- MSU Extension Service offers poultry education - March 27, 2013
- Research results show impact of Extension, experiment stations - March 26, 2013
- Landowners add value with nature activities - March 26, 2013
- Wildfire prevention highlighted in March - March 25, 2013
- Redbuds make bold color statement in early spring - March 25, 2013
- MSU forage research reveals native benefits - March 25, 2013
- State winter wheat crop needs a break from rain - March 22, 2013
- 4-H club hosts rodeo for true sweethearts - March 21, 2013
- Businesses benefit from online presence strategies - March 21, 2013
- MSU student Wells wins dietetic award - March 21, 2013
- Free online program educates homeowners with water wells - March 21, 2013
- MSU celebrates Edam cheese’s 75th anniversary - March 20,2013
- Produce growers to give input on new law - March 19, 2013
- Supertunias make a super garden impact - March 18, 2013
- Raising backyard birds
requires planning, time - March 14, 2013
- Project aims to boost native bee numbers - March 14, 2013
- Landscape activities may begin online - March 14, 2013
- MSU fisheries professor gets conservation award - March 13, 2013
- MSU spring plant
sale set for April 5-6 - March 13, 2013
- MSU vet to use remote teaching at conference - March 12, 2013
- MSU student seeks to impact agriculture - March 12, 2013
- Yellow jasmine brightens yards as a ground cover, in containers - March 11, 2013
- Panola County cattle farmpractices good conservation - March 11, 2013
- Duck habitat research earns students awards - March 11, 2013
- MSU students recognized at regional ASA meeting - March 8, 2013
- MSU at IHL - March 8, 2013
- Life’s storms can alter career paths - March 7, 2013
- Native plants focus of lecture, tour April 6 - March 7, 2013
- Producers give input on research, training - March 6, 2013
- MSU graduate student honored for duck study - March 6, 2013
- March field day covers mulching, high tunnels - March 5, 2013
- MSU student wins inaugural award - March 5, 2013
- Producers express needs, ideas to MSU - March 5, 2013
- MSU veterinarians save dog attacked by coyote - March 4, 2013
- Use Cajun hibiscus to spice up the landscape - March 4, 2013
- Online seminar answers lumber values questions - March 1, 2013
- MSU professor honored for wildlife conservation - March 1, 2013
- Back up data to save files, time, money - February 28, 2013
- MSU hires a regional sweet potato specialist - February 28, 2013
- Teen dating violence shows warning signs - February 28, 2013
- Producers dictate MSU’s priorities - February 28, 2013
- Leaders promote goals through Leadership MS - February 28, 2013
- Professional development fills child care education need - February 28, 2013
- Officials are ready when Africanized bees arrive - February 28, 2013
- MSU Extension promotes financial health by saving - February 27, 2013
- Child-care resource center opens office in Oxford - February 26, 2013
- Butterfly bush, butterfly weed welcome namesakes - February 25, 2013
- CVM department head leads national organization - February 25, 2013
- MSU Extension hires new ag communications head - February 21, 2013
- Annual event gathers adult 4-H volunteers - February 20, 2013
- MSU horticulture students among top 3 in competition - February 20, 2013
- 'Agriculture Idol' contest seeks future industry stars - February 20, 2013
- Morgan Freeman fund for scholarships turns 15 - February 19, 2013
- MSU programs promote children’s dental health - February 18, 2013
- MSU student’s research continues to earn awards - February 18, 2013
- Spring brings garden shows across the state - February 18, 2013
- Rotary partnerships help early childhood literacy - February 15, 2013
- School groups invited to register for CVM open house - February 15, 2013
- MSU fisheries students receive regional award - February 14, 2013
- Delta researcher earns agronomy career award - February 14, 2013
- Three insect species established in 2012 - February 14, 2013
- MSU Extension’s health exhibit gets a make-over - February 14, 2013
- MSU researchers receive ag awards - February 14, 2013
- MSU administrator receives lifetime achievement award - February 14, 2013
- Mississippi goes "app" for state's visitors - February 14, 2013
- Wildlife Society recognizes professor's diversity efforts - February 13, 2013
- 4-H's influence deserves credit for achievements - February 13, 2013
- Native azaleas add charm, early blooms to landscapes - February 12, 2013
- Sale of Champions hits $5 million milestone - February 8, 2013
- Vet camp applications are being accepted - February 8, 2013
- MSU Extension Service adds associate director - February 7, 2013
- MSU expert is named fellow in world society - February 7, 2013
- Tree planting requires planning, research - February 7, 2013
- MSU establishes farm for students - February 7, 2013
- Peanuts gain popularity as state ag commodity - February 7, 2013
- MSU scientists study ducks in the Delta - February 5, 2013
- CVM researcher seeks to aid in flu vaccine development - February 4, 2013
- Commodity advisory meeting set for Feb. 25 - February 4, 2013
- Bald cypress, Japanese maple, magnolias excel in landscapes - February 4, 2013
- Commodity advisory meeting set for Feb. 26 - February 1, 2013
- Equine program offers therapy for ‘heroes’ - January 31, 2013
- Design Week lets students create campus landscape - January 31, 2013
- Speed up computers by removing clutter - January 31, 2013
- Tomato short course to be held March 5-6 - January 31, 2013
- MSU seminar offers exporting resources - January 31, 2013
- MSU Extension Service adds consumer expert - January 31, 2013
- Career Paths... Different perspectives result in new solutions - January 31, 2013
- In-home child-care provider achieves a 5-star rating - January 31, 2013
- MSU students win at cotton conferences - January 29, 2013
- Savannah holly thrives year-round in the state - January 28, 2013
- Industry experts invited to meet MSU grad students - January 28, 2013
- Waterfowl scientists flock to Memphis - January 28, 2013
- Unique wedding venues give events personality, charm - January 25, 2013
- MSU producer advisory council to meet in Verona - January 25, 2013
- Grant funds biofuel joint research project - January 25, 2013
- MSU genetic scientist wins national award - January 24, 2013
- Fruit, vegetable growers plan meeting in Verona - January 24, 2013
- Two March workshops teach gamebird management - January 24, 2013
- Playing in the dirt leads to a horticultural career - January 24, 2013
- Native grasses improving a Prentiss County farm - January 24, 2013
- Basic, advanced technology options abound at weddings - January 18, 2013
- Loropetalums help
anchor landscapes - January 18, 2013
- Strategic wedding plans
reduce stress, ‘disasters’ - January 18, 2013
- Premarital counseling leads to strong unions - January 18, 2013
- Keep weddings on budget for a smart financial start - January 17, 2013
- Brides opt for variety with reception treats - January 17, 2013
- Personal touches make weddings memorable - January 17, 2013
- Bridal styles go back in time for inspiration - January 17, 2013
- Technology enhances wedding experiences - January 17, 2013
- Summer scholar program promotes medical careers - January 15, 2013
- Pest management training approaches - January 15, 2013
- Market Ready training planned for producers - January 15, 2013
- Bare branches bring attention to lichens - January 14, 2013
- Seven counties host Feb. 9 squirrel hunts - January 10, 2013
- MSU workshop teaches grapevine pruning tips - January 10, 2013
- Therapeutic program needs horses, saddles - January 10, 2013
- Jan. 18 begins year of monthly field days - January 10, 2013
- Heart's passions will make the best careers - January 10, 2013
- Green roof provides chance for research - January 10, 2013
- Pyracantha brings color to winter-dreary scenes - January 7, 2013
- Program allows 4-H youth to learn state government - January 8, 2013