The primary mission of the Experimental
Seafood Processing Laboratory, Coastal Research and Extension
Center, Mississippi State University is to provide scientific
and technical leadership and guidance to the seafood industry
in the State of Mississippi. An integral part of this mission
is to provide the technical support necessary for industry partners
to maintain compliance with state and federal regulations. Multidisciplinary
areas of research interest involve university, government and
private industry on a statewide, national and international basis.
Research and Extenstion Programs
Research interests include but are not limited to:
- post harvest handling of finfish and shellfish
- physico-chemical quality
- microbial quality and safety
- product development
- development of underutilized species of finfish and shellfish
- utilization of traditional seafood processing by-product
- remediation of by-product waste
Extension activities include:
- Technical guidance in the form of workshops such as the AFDOS
HACCP and Sanitation Programs.
- The expansion and development of industry driven post harvest
- Meeting environmental challenges involving processing waste.
- Providing technical assistance to industry partners in the
area of new product development.
- Assisting industry in meeting state and federal regulatory
For further information, contact: Dr. Barakat Mahmoud